Thursday 8 November 2012

War of the Worlds - Again


Dear Reader,
When I say dear reader, I am always reminded of Terry Wogan  and his comments on his radio show. He would often allude to the fact that he had one or two listeners. The rest were trapped souls who only had one radio station. Well, thats my view anyway.
So dear reader, this week’s blog. By now, yet again, two events have taken place. The title of this week’s blog might give a clue as to what. In the early hours of Wednesday morning here in the UK, we woke to the news that the US elections were over. Unlike the last UK general election, which ended in a typical British farce, the US sorted it in one day. President Obama was returned for 4 more years. It was one of the closest races in recent times. There was certainly a war of words that went on between the two parties. The fact that more than just the US was in the balance, as we were led to believe. True, there were certain statements by Romney that gave many concerns. Some clearly must have been ill advised. Yet there came a point when he became a serious threat to Obama and others. It pushed the race towards a nervous point. But, there was one more twist. A storm. What did it do, maybe nothing, maybe swing the undecided? Will we ever really know? Right now I am sure there are a huge number of analysts, pouring over data, one liners, video clips and more just to find where the votes went. And now it starts again, both the next 4 years and the race to be the next President. Unlike British politics, President Obama wont stand again, he can only be re-elected once. Romney can if he is wanted. I suspect given the election, there will be two new people and maybe a first. A woman presidential candidate. We will wait and see.
Now to the real War of the Worlds – Again. The title is referring to the re-mastering, re-inventing, re-designing, re-anything of a true classic album. In 1978, a new album hit the music stores. It was a double vinyl masterpiece. Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds had a massive impact. The opening lines as spoken by Richard Burton, that rich deep Welsh voice made you listen. “No one would have believed in the last years of the 19th century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space.’  That opening line made, the hairs stand up. It sends a shiver still. Thirty-six seconds of Burton’s voice at the start, that’s all. Then there is that pause, barely a second. It hits. The first chord. The sound is amazing, the pace perfect. H.G Wells novel as told in song. The first track Eve of the War, pulls you into Victorian England. Unlike the films, it is set correctly. When I first listened to this, I was amazed. I must have played it hundreds of times, learning all the little changes of pace, the orchestra’s varied sounds and the differing voices. Although there were only a few people on the original album, Justin Haywood, David Essex, Phil Lynott, Julie Covington, Chris Thompson and Jeff Wayne himself, it created a film like feel. The album itself stayed in the charts for 290 weeks, over 5 years. I had always wanted to see it performed live and as time went on I did go back to it often. I could listen to this without feeling the spark fade unlike some albums. Then 6 years ago on April 29th, my birthday, I sat in the Sheffield  Arena along with thousands of others and waited. It was the first live tour, would it be as good as the album. Not only did the hairs stand up they damn nearly shook me to bits. It was incredible. There were changes but it mattered not.
Now in 2012 a new version of War of the Worlds is about to be released. There is a new cast of course. I have been able to listen to two parts of the new album. What do I think? There will be a whole new generation that won’t understand or have heard the album. They may well listen, considering Gary Barlow is one of the new cast. A stroke of genius to engage such a well known artist of this day. The same can be said of Liam Neeson, who takes the Burton role of the Journalist. It will take me a time to get used to listening to one of my all time favourite albums, with others involved. The best way for me, is to accept this as a second album and start fresh. The New Generation will be out in November and with such social media I fully imagine it to invade just like the Martians did before. Will it be a success? Yes it will. Again because of the history and what is behind it. Will I like it? My honest answer is I don’t know yet. Ask me after November when, more than likely, I will have bought it.
On another note, just for the record, a quick update on two programs. Arrow is continuing to hit the gold in my view. Three episodes down and the pace is excellent. Elementary on the other hand, is not. I find it slow, dull, predictable, easy to solve. It is just another American crime show.
So the tagline. “One war has ended. Now the Martians are ready to invade.”

No comments:

Post a Comment